MILWAUKEE – The Kenosha, Wisconsin, police officer who shot Jacob Blake in August will not be criminally charged, Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley announced Tuesday.
Neither the officer who fired, Rusten Sheskey, or any others will be charged, Graveley said during a Tuesday news conference. His decision was based on evidence that could not be seen on cellphone video of the incident, which showed Sheskey shooting Blake, 29, as he got into a vehicle with his children inside.
Blake, who was shot in the back, was left paralyzed. The video, which was widely shared on social media, sparked protests, vandalism and arson.
"It’s a narrow task today, it’s a legal and professional task," Graveley said at a Tuesday afternoon news conference.
He added that the shooting was a tragedy for Blake, his family, police and the community.
Blake’s attorney, B’Ivory LaMarr, said Graveley was subverting the will of the people by failing to charge Sheskey. There was clearly probable cause to believe a crime had been committed, LaMarr said, and the case should be brought before a jury.
AD: Check out Spotlight Radio The Light, the all new 24 hour Gospel Radio Station for the DFW. We play the BEST in traditional and contemporary Gospel and feature shows such as Inspirations with Carmina and Sheryl Underwood Radio.